Wet Fold Origami
Wet-fold origami is exactly what it sounds like, origami but wet. Origami is the art of folding an often single square sheet of paper into a 3-dimensional form. Because of no documentation of art practices in regard to origami prior to the 15th century, the true origin is unknown. However many people credit the art form to Japan. As the name origami, in Japanese, means to fold (oru) paper (kami). Later on, a German educator named Freidrich Froebel saw educational benefits to the art form and was just one person who helped spread awareness around the world in the mid to late 1800s. He himself "invented" or classified some types of folds. The folds of life, introductory folds. The folds of truth, which teach basic principles of geometry. The folds of beauty, are more advanced as they come from more complex shapes. Origami folds range from simple to more complex but are always bound by the rigidity and flexibility of the paper. Cutting paper is not allowed in some creations but is necessary for others.
There are different styles of origami and wet-fold origami is one such style. Akira Yoshizawa, a known master of origami is credited with the wet folds invention. Much like "classic" origami, wet-fold still follows different folds to create a 3D shape. Now the paper is wet. Specifically, it is a special type of paper that has a water-soluble adhesive added to it. The paper is thicker so it won't tear and the adhesive will help retain the paper's shape once dry. Because the paper is wet while a person is working with it, it becomes easier to create softer and more curved forms. With the process of wet-folding, the paper is to be made damp, not soaking wet as the name may suggest. The form of the art comes from manipulating the paper into the correct position to dry and not by creasing the paper like regular origami, so one must be gentle.
And that is the technique that Hoang Tien Quyet follows when creating his sculptures. Manipulating dampened paper into the correct forms to create the shape of a bird's head and body or the arch of a cat's back. Quyet stated his love and amazement with folding paper ever since he was a kid, the joy of making something. As he said on his website "a joy of a kid who could make his own toys." He stated that the technique gave him a new perspective on his love for origami and helped him figure out his style. Giving personality and character and life to each creation through that organic form.


(taken from his website)


(taken from his Instagram)
Why this?
I chose this technique (and the artist) because I love origami and hearing about this different style of origami really piqued my interest. I was looking through the different types of paper craft styles that were provided for us and the article on wet-fold origami showed these photos of Quyet's work and I was just immediately in awe. So naturally, I wanted to know how the technique worked. I also looked at Quyet's Instagram and found even more of his beautiful works. Which combined two things I liked, origami and making creatures/animals.
I have always been fascinated with paper. One summer my friends and I made some paper out of my dad's old textbooks that he wanted us to rip up to be recycled. Nothing brings me greater joy than fanning the pages of a book. Seeing and feeling the different textures and flexibilities and other properties. I have, on two separate occasions, made 200 throwing stars. As cliché as it sounds, I like working with my hands, and origami and wet-folding play into that.
Sources:
Editors of, Encyclopædia Britannica. “Origami.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 16 Feb. 2023, http://www.britannica.com/art/origami#ref324288.
Peter, (n/f). “How to Wet Fold Origami.” Origami.me, 12 Jan. 2023, https://origami.me/wet-fold/.
Quyet, Hoang Tien. “Hoang Tien Quyet.” Tumblr, n.d., https://htquyet.origami.vn/about.
Quyet, Hoang Tien. “Hoàng Tiến Quyết (@Htquyet) • Instagram Photos and Videos.” Instagram, n.d., https://www.instagram.com/htquyet/.
Rao, Mallika. “'Wet' Origami Artist Turns Damp Paper into Gorgeous Sculptures.” HuffPost, HuffPost, 18 May 2015, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wet-folding-origami_n_7285182.
Sierzputowski, Kate. “Wet Fold Origami Technique Gives Wavy Personality to Paper Animals by Artist Hoang Tien Quyet.” Colossal, 6 Feb. 2018, https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/05/wet-fold-origami/.
Comments
Post a Comment